New markets and technologies for Ontario’s agri-food sector.
Ontario Agri-Food Technologies (OAFT) is a non-profit organization established in 1997 and located in Guelph, Ontario. It is composed of members from grower associations, universities/colleges, industry and governments.
The organization focuses on ensuring that Ontario producers have access to the latest technologies to compete globally and to develop new market opportunities, many of which are beyond food.
Many recent developments, such as the new technology for genetic manipulation of plants and animals, the emergence of specialty products, increased fossil fuel costs, contract manufacturing and growing, changes in the trade agreements and increased international competitiveness, are now changing the face of agriculture world-wide.
Although Ontario is well-positioned to take advantage of these changes to enhance its agri-food industry, Ontario Agri-Food technologies wants to move beyond traditional markets of food to new health products, industrial feedstock and fuels.
OAFT’s mission is to provide leadership and coordination in utilizing technology to generate wealth and sustainability for the agricultural and food industries of Ontario by focusing on 4 key action areas:
- Encourage and support collaboration among public and private research groups.
- Development, support and coordination of research programs amongst Ontario’s institutions.
- Creating a skills and expertise database of Ontario Agri-Food Technologies research scientists in biotechnology and bioproducts.
- Securing funding to support research and development of new technologies and importantly, helping to find financing for companies to produce their products.
Technologies & Services
OAFT supports the continued development and adoption of new agri-food technologies in a manner which will stimulate improvements in farm and food processing and industrial sustainability, profitability, and improve Ontario’s strong position in the agri-food sector, both nationally and internationally.
Ontario Agri-Food Technologies works in order to:
- Developing, supporting and coordinating research programs among Ontario institutions.
- Assisting in the commercialization of biotechnology and bio-based products.
- Stimulating awareness, acceptance and use of biotechnologies by the agri-food sector.
- Educating stakeholders about the value and benefits of new technologies.
- Enhancing visibility and raising awareness of the agricultural and bioproduct industries of Ontario, in the rest of Canada and internationally.
Meet Ontario Agri-Food Technologies!